A Black and White Affair: It is well with my soul

"Childhood means simplicity. Look at the world with the child's eye - it is very beautiful" - Kailash Satyarthi

Anybody who knows me knows that I love kids, so much, that at the age of 14, my nickname was Mama Watoto. There's just something about the presence of a child that is next to godliness. Until they start throwing tantrums and pooping and making stains on your new carpet and drawing on your freshly painted wall *shudders*. I will never forget how my body felt after babysitting my godson for one full day. I kid you not, after returning him to his parents, I slept for a good four days. I felt like I had been running up and down Mt. Kilimanjaro 15 times. Respect to all the full-time parents who don't have the option of returning their children "back to sender"...and especially to single parents, I salute you.

Poop and all aside, I love kids. Now that my godson is 7 years old, he is so smart and chill. I swear, he is like a 40 year old man in a 7 year old's body. I can literally hang out with him for 12 hours in one spot, just coloring and talking, with an occasional break of Tom and Jerry, and he will not make a single fuss. I enjoy his company so much, that if I scheduled a movie date with him and someone else asks to meet up...sorry mate. Aside from him, I have had the privilege of being around children; playing with my little relatives, visiting orphanages and needy schools, teaching Sunday School, and currently, as a part-time music teacher.

One of my most fulfilling life experiences was at a children's home which doubled up as a school. I had volunteered to help out at the school, thinking I'd be given manual labor duties, but the biggest challenge they faced was lack of teachers. One day, the head of teachers came and told me that the class 4's haven't had a teacher for a while, and requested if I could take their classes. I immediately freaked out because firstly, I am soft-spoken, so having to speak in front of 40 people, age aside, is not something I would choose for myself. Secondly, I had to teach all subjects, including my weaker ones like science. Thirdly, the syllabus was the 8-4-4 system, which I never did when I was in school. But hey, since I volunteered to help in any way, "no" wasn't an option. And so I became Teacher Risa. I learnt quite a lot being their teacher, and the months I spent at the school were such a joy for me, simply because I was in the presence of children.

Anyway, spending all this time around kids has taught me a thing or two, and as a result, I strive to have a child-like philosophy. I also think the world would be a much better, peaceful, place if we all had the worldview of a child. To a child, life is so black and white. Lessons I learnt:


  • Forgive and forget. I am yet to hear of a 6 year old holding a grudge over something you did 3 years ago.
  • Not scared to take risks, but fall, yet get right up and continue with life.
  • Find fun in the littlest of things.
  • Do not have limiting beliefs on what they can do or be. If they want to be an elephant, they can be an elephant.
  • Have a simplistic view. It's never that serious. If you have a low season, that's just it. A low season. It doesn't mean you are doomed for life, and neither does it hold a deeper meaning.
  • Love unconditionally. They don't care whether or not you are rich, poor, tall, dark, have long or short hair. They will love you completely, with everything and with nothing.
  • Pretend not. If a child doesn't like you for whatever reason, they will not hide it. I never have to wonder whether my godson loves me or not. Why? Because he, and all other children, will not smile and be friendly and loving towards you then go complain to their mothers about what a terrible human being you are. 
  • Have blind faith. It is important for peace. I remember as a child, my family was not as well off as it is now, yet I never worried about not having shelter or food. As a child, your parents are super-human. Even though things were not as good, I was at rest because I trusted that my mum would magically provide food and I will sleep in my bed at night, and I would happily play with my friends without wondering, and sure enough, I never skipped a single meal nor slept in the rain.
Speaking of blind faith, I think as adults the hardest thing to do is to surrender everything to God; we like to have a sense of control over the outcome of our lives, yet at the end of the day, God's will is the last say. The sooner we understand this, the more peaceful we become. Of course we have to plan our lives, but just as kids surrender their burdens to their parents, we should do our part and surrender ours to God. A true sense of peace comes with that surrendering. Once when I was having trouble sleeping, the story of Jesus on the sea with His disciples came to thought. What stood out to me was the fact that he was ASLEEP through the storm. Was He asleep because He just loved His sleep? (Like me, I can't wake up to save my life...my friends even complain that they can't call me in the middle of the night when in trouble, because I will not wake up. Aki poleni.). He continued sleeping because He was peaceful. He knew and trusted that God has power, so He was unafraid. Today, I also happened to read the story behind the song "It is well with my soul". Horatio G. Spafford lost his only son, and in the same year, lost his business to the great Chicago fire (which apparently insurance refused to compensate). About 2 years later, on a voyage, his 4 daughters perished in a ship accident. Those were now all his children gone in a short span, and his successful business, everything he had worked for, perished just like that.  While on the journey to join his grieving wife, he wrote the song, which includes the lyrics:


"Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul."




Comments